Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it the OL or the Game Plan
10-15-2017, 11:00 AM,
Is it the OL or the Game Plan
First off, I know the OL is young and they will get better.

But watching the game I wondered if this was just the OL getting beat or an awful game plan.

I just don't understand why you keep trying to run when there are nine me in the box.
I would think a good coach looks at what the other team is trying to do on D and adjust.
We had one on one every time one early downs.  Why not go deep.  No bootleg.  Just max protect and go deep with your WR.
At least that may have loosened them up.
10-15-2017, 11:16 AM,
RE: Is it the OL or the Game Plan
(10-15-2017, 11:00 AM)Aztecx Wrote: First off, I know the OL is young and they will get better.

But watching the game I wondered if this was just the OL getting beat or an awful game plan.

I just don't understand why you keep trying to run when there are nine me in the box.
I would think a good coach looks at what the other team is trying to do on D and adjust.
We had one on one every time one early downs.  Why not go deep.  No bootleg.  Just max protect and go deep with your WR.
At least that may have loosened them up.

The truth is they were stopping the run when they had 7 in the box. That's tough to overcome. They just flat beat us at the LOS. Not much any coach can do with that problem.
Why not go deep? Hard to do when the QB gets no time and the WR's don't consistently get open. I would've liked to have seen a few more passes to the TE over the middle. The one that Kahale dropped (back breaker) was wide open. I think that would've exploited some of the blitzing they were doing.
10-15-2017, 11:52 AM,
The OL just for whooped. Everybody stacks the box against us. Boise didn't come up with some magic game plan they just beat up on our OL.
10-15-2017, 12:06 PM,
I am currently in Italy so I could not watch the game.  So based on some of the comments did Horton refuse to run Penny outside as usual?
10-15-2017, 12:09 PM,
(10-15-2017, 12:06 PM)aztech Wrote: I am currently in Italy so I could not watch the game.  So based on some of the comments did Horton refuse to run Penny outside as usual?

Not from what I saw.  Boise stopped outside runs as well.  They stopped the power toss and the jet sweep.

Penny's TD run started as an inside run, but he bounced outside and outran the Boise defense to the left pylon.
10-15-2017, 12:30 PM,
(10-15-2017, 12:09 PM)legkick Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 12:06 PM)aztech Wrote: I am currently in Italy so I could not watch the game.  So based on some of the comments did Horton refuse to run Penny outside as usual?

Not from what I saw.  Boise stopped outside runs as well.  They stopped the power toss and the jet sweep.

Penny's TD run started as an inside run, but he bounced outside and outran the Boise defense to the left pylon.

Then I hate to say it, but Boise will beat us again unless the online gets it together.  Boise's strength has been it's defense. An imaginative offense can take us only so far.  It has to start with the line.  Schmidt has his work cut out for him.  BTW everyone suffers injuries so let's not get into that.
10-15-2017, 12:37 PM,
The answer to the OP's question is both although the OL was the bigger problem.
10-15-2017, 12:52 PM,
(10-15-2017, 11:52 AM)k5james Wrote: The OL just for whooped.  Everybody stacks the box against us.  Boise didn't come up with some magic game plan they just beat up on our OL.

It just seems like we really don't adjust well.

Against good teams you are not going to be able to run it down their throats.

I would like to see more first down passing when they are stacking the box AND we are having little success running.

I do agree they just whooped us.  
Still thought the game plan could have been better.  Whatevs.
10-15-2017, 02:58 PM,
(10-15-2017, 12:52 PM)Aztecx Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 11:52 AM)k5james Wrote: The OL just for whooped.  Everybody stacks the box against us.  Boise didn't come up with some magic game plan they just beat up on our OL.

I would like to see more first down passing when they are stacking the box AND we are having little success running.

We did it against three good teams already this year.
10-15-2017, 03:17 PM,
(10-15-2017, 12:52 PM)Aztecx Wrote:

Their D looked like ours usually does. They brought pressure from different angles and covered well in the secondary. They blitzed run gaps to stop Penny and apply pressure when Chapman passed. Our TE's need to be able to chip and go to the next level, because the WR's were not getting open. But, they mostly stayed in for extra protection. In other words, Boise St. dictated how the games was played.