Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horton as OC
10-21-2018, 09:18 AM,
Horton as OC
After last night, I have had enough. He is a good recruiter but an awful OC! So predictable with his vanilla playing calling with no creativity at all. Really, only 11 pass attempts with no play action. I just don't know what else to say. He needs to be relieved of the playing calling duties.
10-21-2018, 09:25 AM,
RE: Horton as OC
Yeah that and the vaunted ol'ine are horrible combo
stats 119th tackles losses allowed 45
116th sacks allowed 20
115th Fewest penalties per game
99th fewest penalties
113th Passing offense
62nd rushing offense
116th Total Offense
10-21-2018, 10:27 AM,
To be honest, our offense is embarrassing right now. It's so bad my 72 year old mother said last night this is not fun anymore and doesn't want to go to the next game.
10-21-2018, 10:40 AM,
How much of it Horton and how limited is he by the team? I’m sure it’s a lot of both. Don’t think we have time for play action to develop, we tried a few screen with mixed/ok results. I’d like to see mor quick hitters to both wrs and tes. More counters, more end around threats (fakes) to slow the rush down and of course the ol’wheel route.
10-21-2018, 10:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-21-2018, 10:48 AM by SleepingGiantsFan.)
Last night Horton called running plays 73% of the time. I thought the goal was about a 60-40 run to pass ratio. Why the disparity?

Was Agnew awful? Well, he completed 7 of the 11 throws he made for 86 yards. Those numbers aren't great but last I looked, completing 63% of your passes and gaining just short of eight yards per throw is pretty good. He was also sacked just once for a 7-yard loss and gained 24 yards on 4 bootlegs.

In his post-game presser, Rocky said what the present offense lacks is a running back of the caliber we've had the last four years. He said there were a couple plays which would probably have gone for a TD had the back hit the hole properly but that Juwan should be back in three games so that should improve.

Rocky said nothing about the run to pass ratio of the play calling and you can tell from the way he speaks about Horton that he sure as hell isn't going to say anything to Jeff about it but IMO, Horton sure better figure out for himself that given the way opposing defenses are lining up to stop us, the middle of the field is wide open for our receivers most of the time and we need to exploit that.
10-21-2018, 10:52 AM,
(10-21-2018, 10:40 AM)RocknFish Wrote: How much of it Horton and how limited is he by the team?  I’m sure it’s a lot of both.  Don’t think we have time for play action to develop, we tried a few screen with mixed/ok results.  I’d like to see mor quick hitters to both wrs and tes.  More counters, more end around threats (fakes) to slow the rush down and of course the ol’wheel route.

I think a lot of it is on Horton. It's not like our QB is a freshman. He has been in the program for 4 years and was 4-0 as a starter going into the game last night. The one good thing I did see last night was the screen pass which we haven't seen in years. That is the only thing I will give him.
10-21-2018, 11:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-21-2018, 11:15 AM by JOCAZTEC.)
6-1.

Marty Schottenheimer was 14-2.

Drew Brees San Diego Charger decision.

23 freshman playing.

5th string RB.

4th collegiate start for Ryan.

Out, 1st string RT, QB, oh oh oh, and ALL time Aztec wins at QB, Jujuan Washington who has THREE kick off returns for a touchdown—OUT, FB out, Pope on dope.....see basketbawl. last season....

Houston needs a haircut.

Tezino was triple teamed and they ran away all game from Tezino by design.

Freshman receivers, freshman QB

WHAT do you want the newbies to do?  Skip learning the basic plays every offense needs or jump to the complex plays?   Just snap your fingers or is your arm chair to deep and wide to allow yourself to use yout beer holding hand to snap?

6-1.

CBS is rolling in the dough, on the gazillion commercials that make their monopoly, yuge profits.  CBS loves Rocky wins......

JAM
10-21-2018, 11:17 AM,
(10-21-2018, 10:27 AM)AztecTom Wrote: To be honest, our offense is embarrassing right now. It's so bad my 72 year old mother said last night this is not fun anymore and doesn't want to go to the next game.

Does she know Schnall?

Bomb

JAM
10-21-2018, 11:33 AM,
(10-21-2018, 11:13 AM)JOCAZTEC Wrote: 6-1.

Marty Schottenheimer was 14-2.

Drew Brees San Diego Charger decision.

23 freshman playing.

5th string RB.

4th collegiate start for Ryan.

Out, 1st string RT, QB, oh oh oh, and ALL time Aztec wins at QB, Jujuan Washington who has THREE kick off returns for a touchdown—OUT, FB out, Pope on dope.....see basketbawl. last season....

Houston needs a haircut.

Tezino was triple teamed and they ran away all game from Tezino by design.

Freshman receivers, freshman QB

WHAT do you want the newbies to do?  Skip learning the basic plays every offense needs or jump to the complex plays?   Just snap your fingers or is your arm chair to deep and wide to allow yourself to use yout beer holding hand to snap?

6-1.

CBS is rolling in the dough, on the gazillion commercials that make their monopoly, yuge profits.  CBS loves Rocky wins......

JAM

Actually some coherent, reasonable thought here. We forget that there are limited number of practice hours and some of these guys probably started shaving in the last year or so.
10-21-2018, 12:55 PM,
the O absolutely needs to get on track vs Nevada. Been very ineffective lately - and it will catch up to them eventually. The D has been keeping the scores low, but we need to score more than 19, 21, 16.
Return to Glory!!!