Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anybody here besides me know . . .
03-14-2018, 05:39 PM,
RE: Does anybody here besides me know . . .
(03-14-2018, 02:05 PM)hoobs Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 01:16 PM)aztech Wrote: If we can keep their senior 6'1" guard Rob Gray from scoring below his average, then I like our chances.  He's their heartbeat.  I think Hutson is going to alternate Hemsley and Watson on him to tire him out.

I think that rotation defending Gray might need a very healthy dose of Hemsley... Watson hasn't impressed me enough with his 1:1 defense to think that he'll do a great job containing Gray.  

Anyone have an idea about Schakel's lateral quickness?  I thought it was supposed to be pretty good.  He'd be an interesting option to throw at Gray for short spurts.

Something crazy like McDaniels (assuming he's very safe in terms of foul situation), also in short spurts, covering Gray could be interesting.  His length would really challenge Gray's outside shot and would force him to put the ball on the floor.  Gray should be able to drive by McD... and though we don't have a great "rim-protector," you don't need a Skylar to defend a 6'1" guy driving the lane...

If Gray dribble drives past whoever is guarding him, that's when switching will be important.  McDaniels, Pope and Rooks will have to block his shots.  That's when we'll have to be careful since he's a good assist guy too.  If it's clogged under the basket he'll pass to an open man in the perimeter for 3.  We'll need to get Gray into foul trouble
when he drives.  Make him one dimensional out at the perimeter.
03-14-2018, 07:26 PM,
Think a shorter Navada and go win it all!

03-15-2018, 09:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-15-2018, 09:26 AM by legkick.)
We want Rob Gray shooting the three. We need to prevent their other two sharpshooters from getting off open looks at threes; run them off the 3 point line with Kell and Mitchell.

Watson, unfortunately, is a really poor defender. That's ok, he's an offensively oriented player and you take the good with the bad, but it is a problem, particularly against Houston. Watson doesn't go over the top of screens well (we don't know for sure, he may be instructed to go under them); he gambles a ton, and forces his teammates to scramble and cover for him, which leads to open three looks for others. If he can just stay in front of Gray, and dare him to shoot threes, that is our best chance for Watson to play adequate D. Hemsley is our ideal defender for Gray.
03-15-2018, 11:43 AM,
I agree Hemsley will guard Grey aka Mr. Man Bun, when he is on the floor.
Expect to Win!
03-15-2018, 04:49 PM,
Good game so far - except that horrible call against Mitchell
03-15-2018, 06:58 PM,
Oh well at least we showed up and made it close at the end
03-15-2018, 11:03 PM,
Overall, these guys aren't ready for the big time. Remember, when we first starting going to the Dance it took us a few times to win a first round game. They have get over that hump. Pope and Kell got their minutes worth of playing time to end their career. Too bad they both didn't have a good game. The missed free throws are what lost us the game.

Looking forward, I'm glad McDaniels and Mitchell got the experience of being in the NCAA tourney. They should be the team leaders next year. The other returnees better make the JAM center their 2nd home during the off season.
03-16-2018, 07:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-16-2018, 07:12 AM by JOCAZTEC.)
It has always been their distinct mark for Kell, and Pope and Hemsley.  They always were lackadaisical in shooting free throws.

I shot 94% as a point guard career.

They dont care about missing a free throw.  Steve never listened to my take on how to shoot free throws.  Do you remeber the Cow Polly win by the score of 44-40 or some thing like that?   Yeah.  A few players had the flu and the entire team was holding their breathes.  I yelled out to Fisher, he heard me, X breathed and made key free throws at rhe end to win.  The next weekend the Coaches remembered my yelling to breathe and the Aztecs shot 14 for 18 three pointers and blew out Kentucky, or some team like that.

Predictable loss due to missing 14 freethrows.  Good season Aztecs.

A banner.  Excitement for next year is super high.  I wonder if dela dela will ban basketbawl?  Hooe not.

Do you think there will be some one in the future that says Pope and Kell were pot enthusiasts at SDSU?  I hooe not.  They did legalize MJ during their playing years.