Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaches' Production at the Halfway Point
10-14-2018, 04:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-14-2018, 04:28 PM by SleepingGiantsFan.)
Coaches' Production at the Halfway Point
Rocky - At what he's willing to work for, we're very fortunate to have him.

Horton - Mediocre play caller but a great recruiter and close bro of Rocky so he isn't going anywhere.

Blane Morgan - A strange choice for QB coach since he played in a triple option offense as a collegian. He's been an improvement on Brian Sipe but all that means is we've replaced a D student with a C- student. SDSU can and needs to do better.

Adam Hall - He's been excellent as the S&C guy and Rocky should seriously consider offering him Morgan's job. Who would replace Adam? That kind of trivia is best left to SteveEM or somebody else who knows of coaches down the pecking order at other schools.

Mike Schmidt - Particularly after the consecutive debacles against Boise and Fresno a year ago at this time, many were calling for his head. But then after we starting playing a bunch of patsies his charges started looking a lot better. Well, except for Fresno, every defense we play here on out is dog excrement so our O-line should start looking much better this Saturday and remain that way the vast majority of the rest of the season. If that doesn't happen the writing will be on the wall that Schmidt can't coach kids up and should therefore also be shown the door.

Zach Arnett - The LB unit has been playing well as usual so even though Arnett is also wet behind the ears, he's been doing well.

Doug Deakin - As was expected, STs have fallen off considerably since Bobby Hauck left. I'm certainly not ready to write off Deakin because we've lost two great returners in Penny and at least temporarily, Juwan Washington. Plus the guy is being paid peanuts so your opinion may differ but mine is that he's also doing fine.

Ernie Lawson - The D-line hasn't been great but it's been pretty good. Lawson's big test will be NEXT year after Luke, Hall and Onyeukwu have graduated.

Hunkie Cooper - Our WRs were awful toward the end of LeCharls McDaniel's tenure. McDaniel was a very good coach for many years but had gotten long in the tooth and not recruited well so Holder excepted, Hunkie inherited no particular talent. He therefore had much work to do and although progress has been slow, progress is absolutely being shown.

Richard Sanchez - Although there has already been some criticism of the guy, that's ridiculously premature since he's had next to no time to show what he can do.

Demetrius Sumler - Is he even drawing a salary?

Ron Caragher - Just exactly what does the guy do?

Kevin McGarry - My opinion of him is well known among regulars here.

Your thoughts?
10-14-2018, 04:45 PM,
RE: Coaches' Production at the Halfway Point
Question. The offensive line was thought to be the strongest unit going into the season.

Now, I'm reading a lot of criticism of line play in the paper and internet sites. Last year, for no reason, I picked Guadino as my guy to follow. He missed time due to injury and returned and was pulled now he is starting again. From what I was able to see on tv he is over powered and spends time backing into Agnew.

Is the line not as good as advertised or are they being overwhelmed (6,7,8 in the box) due to a poor passing game?
10-14-2018, 05:10 PM,
I know this is blasphemy, but I’d like to see ty deter as our new qb coach.
10-14-2018, 06:03 PM,
(10-14-2018, 04:27 PM)SleepingGiantsFan Wrote: Demetrius Sumler - Is he even drawing a salary?

Ron Caragher - Just exactly what does the guy do?

Kevin McGarry - My opinion of him is well known among regulars here.

Your thoughts?

McGarry & Caragher you nailed spot on. Replaceable both easily.
10-14-2018, 10:39 PM,
We seem to have an abundance of talented youth being forced into action, but I think the upside is they're eager to learn. My concern is whether they'll have learned enough when we face Fresno State.
10-14-2018, 11:02 PM,
I can tell you right now right that if Blaine left it would be Ryan Lindley. Blaine's a good coach give him a talented QB and he will do well. He is also a big recruiter in Texas not just Horton. our o'line is fine as long as the play vanilla defense but you start stunting an all-out blitzing. Carragher knows the passing game a lot better than Horton does. they basically handle recruiting watching film. All we are going to see from now on is press coverage 10 in the box. McGrary is here to recruit Hawaii plain and simple.
10-15-2018, 08:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-15-2018, 08:57 AM by SleepingGiantsFan.)
Dad was originally from Minneapolis and so was a big Vikings fan so I tended to follow them too. When I was a kid in the early seventies it seemed like the Vikings would get to the playoffs every year and then always disappoint. The reason was that with the Purple People Eaters D-line and the likes of Paul Krause in the secondary, they always had a great defense. OTOH, the offense was almost never capable of doing anything more than scoring just enough to win the NFC Central. The defense versus offense distinction in the present Aztecs team is very similar.

Maybe we'll be able to beat Fresno 6-3.
10-15-2018, 09:11 AM,
FSU is not the offensive juggernaut like it was last year. contain McMaryion and you beat them
REGULAR SEASON Fresburg Bullfrogs
vs IDAHO W79-13 so what?
@ MINN L21-14 3-3
@ UCLA W38-14 1-5
vs TOL W49-27 Toledo is awful
@ NEV W21-3 21 aginst Gangi less Nevada
vs WYO W27-3 27 versus hapless Cowboys
They will not likely beat Boise and may lose to Hawaii.
10-16-2018, 03:14 PM,
Morgan has to be given some credit for the improvement of Agnew. He has done far better coming in at QB than I thought he would.
I like Schmidt, but he has to take the hit for the way the OL is playing. Virtually everyone returned this year and they look worse. 

The staff as a whole deserves props for their recruiting. If I had told you at the beginning of the year that we would be playing back-ups at QB, center, RB and FB for the majority of the first 6 games, I doubt you would say we'd be 5-1. I know I wouldn't. This team is deep and the coaches should get credit for that.
10-16-2018, 04:45 PM,
Yes we have a chance in the future games but we have to focus on beating San Jose State. The running game needs to crank it up on Saturday.

Damn do miss Penny, but that’s the way it goes.

JAM