Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aztec's Bowl Projections
11-05-2015, 01:31 PM,
RE: Aztec's Bowl Projections
There's another aspect to consider. Regardless of the amount paid in the bowl games none of which amounts to very much there is the possibility of us being 11 and 3.
That probably won't get us ranked but it'll get us close. The value of that is we are obviously returning a lot of players on defense and possibly Pumphrey on offense. This is likely to get us a lower top 25 ranking at the beginning of the year.
This will be a big boost to the program and help with recruiting provided we don't follow on our face in 2016.
11-05-2015, 02:11 PM,
(11-05-2015, 11:47 AM)jaduh Wrote:
(11-05-2015, 11:17 AM)SleepingGiantsFan Wrote: No way the Zona Bowl's payout won't be better than the Infamous Potato Bowl's. Therefore, it's highly unlikely SJSU will be going to the higher paying bowl. Indeed, the terms "Infamous Potato Bowl" and "San Jose State" have a perfect symmetry.

As to us, would the sixth best team in the Pac care about the LV Bowl? And just how much emphasis would OUR coach place on winning it?

SGF, I know you are not a huge fan of Rocky... especially when it comes to bowl games.  But I have to ask, and this is not sarcastic, it's just a question... beyond what Rocky has said to the media do you know that he actually de-emphasizes the bowl game's importance to the kids on the team?  I mean what he actually says to the team in practice and the locker room?

I only ask this because I always feel coaches say things to the media that may not be the same as what is said in the locker room.  I can't imagine that the kids on the team and the coaches would not want to beat a Pac 12 team if they actually played them in a bowl game.

As for Rocky's bowl record at SDSU... while he is 1-3, we both know that could just as easily be 3-1... we are talking about a missed chip shot and a made 50 yarder... both could easily gone the other way.  I know, I know, they were not great teams they played but still would this be a discussion if those field goals had gone the other way.  (As for the loss to byu... byu was simply a better team that year... no question.)

Since you're talking Rocky's bowl games let's set the record straight.  His bowl record at UNM reflects his bowl record here.  I'm pretty sure his losses are not his approaches to the bowl games as much as his teams' deficiencies.

We have a pattern of losing to P5 teams, why?  Because they are bigger and probably more athletic, overall.  Despite that, we could beat one if we happen to play one with a lousy coach (e.g., Wazzu).  Our defenses are not big by design, although they are athletic.  The opposite holds true with our offenses.  We could hold off P5 teams at the beginning of games, but their teams take over as the games go on because of the disparity.

We are built for MWC sized teams.  Overall our guys are probably the most athletic which puts us on top. That's what fools us.  We overrate ourselves as being better than we really are.  So what's the solution?  Hire a coach that a P5 will ultimately poach from us, but be smart with his replacement to keep it gong.
11-05-2015, 02:24 PM,
(11-05-2015, 01:31 PM)stephen1946 Wrote: There's another aspect to consider. Regardless of the amount paid in the bowl games none of which amounts to very much there is the possibility of us being 11 and 3.
That probably won't get us ranked but it'll get us close. The value of that is we are obviously returning a lot of players on defense and possibly Pumphrey on offense. This is likely to get us a lower top 25 ranking at the beginning of the year.
This will be a big boost to the program and help with recruiting provided we don't follow on our face in 2016.

IF, a big if, we won our last 10 in a row and finished 11-3 I bet we would be ranked or very very close to being ranked which, as you say, would carry over to next year and at least get us some votes which is huge. Given the OOC schedule next year we have a chance to be ranked early as I am betting that Goff goes to the NFL and we get Cal at home. The other three OOC games are all winnable.
11-05-2015, 04:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-05-2015, 04:51 PM by SleepingGiantsFan.)
On the coach's show last night, Chris Ello related that prior to the season, he and Jason or Justin Whozit, who does the football pre-game shows, were discussing what conceivable achievement would really show the program had taken the next step. Ello's choice wasn't winning the MWC title, beating Penn State or anything like that. It was winning in double digits. As Ello explained, so doing would not just be to achieve something no SDSU team has done since 1978. That was exactly what yours truly and a number of others said at that same time. Well, we still have an outside shot at doing that but we would either have to go 9-0 in the MWC or go 8-1 and win our bowl game. Don't just come close but WIN our bowl game.

To answer jaduh, why would Rocky say multiple times that bowl games are primarily a reward of an additional game for players and another ten or so practices if he didn't mean that? And why would Rocky not only be just 2-7 all time in those games but a miserable 3-6 against the betting line?

Others may disagree but as between going 9-0 in the MWC and then losing another bowl game or going 8-1 in conference and then defeating a quality bowl opponent, which should be available to us with a regular season record of 9-4, I'd much rather have the latter. Would Rocky? Well, his words and bowl accomplishments suggest he wouldn't.
11-05-2015, 08:12 PM,
(11-05-2015, 04:50 PM)SleepingGiantsFan Wrote: On the coach's show last night, Chris Ello related that prior to the season, he and Jason or Justin Whozit, who does the football pre-game shows, were discussing what conceivable achievement would really show the program had taken the next step. Ello's choice wasn't winning the MWC title, beating Penn State or anything like that. It was winning in double digits. As Ello explained, so doing would not just be to achieve something no SDSU team has done since 1978. That was exactly what yours truly and a number of others said at that same time. Well, we still have an outside shot at doing that but we would either have to go 9-0 in the MWC or go 8-1 and win our bowl game. Don't just come close but WIN our bowl game.

To answer jaduh, why would Rocky say multiple times that bowl games are primarily a reward of an additional game for players and another ten or so practices if he didn't mean that? And why would Rocky not only be just 2-7 all time in those games but a miserable 3-6 against the betting line?

Others may disagree but as between going 9-0 in the MWC and then losing another bowl game or going 8-1 in conference and then defeating a quality bowl opponent, which should be available to us with a regular season record of 9-4, I'd much rather have the latter. Would Rocky? Well, his words and bowl accomplishments suggest he wouldn't.
SGF, thanks for the answer... well, sort of... you answered my question with some of your own so to directly answer your questions: 

Why would Rocky say multiple times bowl games are primarily a reward?  You got me, I have no idea... of course, it doesn't neccessarily mean he wouldn't want to beat a P5 team in a bowl game.  

As for his record, as I discussed, at SDSU he is 1-3 but easily could be 3-1... I have no idea why he lost games while at NM but it could have had something to do with NM not being all that good.  

As for the success against the spread, I am pretty sure that is not an issue for most coaches and players so I don't feel it applies at all.  I certainly respect your opinion but I'll go with mine on this, which is, if RL and the Aztecs were playing a P5 in a bowl game all of the team members including the coaching staff would want to win the game.
11-17-2015, 11:26 AM,
After Week Eleven:

SI.com: Ponto vs CMU
http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/...11-playoff

CBSsports.com: Vegas vs UCLA
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...redictions

Campus Insiders: Vegas vs UCLA
http://campusinsiders.com/news/2015-2016...11-16-2015

Phil Steele: Ponto vs Toledo
http://philsteele.com/bowls/15-16/bowlprojections.html

ESPN*: Vegas vs UCLA/Ponto vs NIU

*Interesting that both ESPN analysts have BYU in Hawai'i.
11-17-2015, 12:51 PM,
(11-17-2015, 11:26 AM)GothamCityRogue Wrote: After Week Eleven:

SI.com: Ponto vs CMU
http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/...11-playoff

CBSsports.com: Vegas vs UCLA
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...redictions

Campus Insiders: Vegas vs UCLA
http://campusinsiders.com/news/2015-2016...11-16-2015

Phil Steele: Ponto vs Toledo
http://philsteele.com/bowls/15-16/bowlprojections.html

ESPN*: Vegas vs UCLA/Ponto vs NIU

*Interesting that both ESPN analysts have BYU in Hawai'i.

I think it's pretty safe to say they are a lock for Hawaii.
11-17-2015, 11:36 PM,
(11-05-2015, 04:50 PM)SleepingGiantsFan Wrote: On the coach's show last night, Chris Ello related that prior to the season, he and Jason or Justin Whozit, who does the football pre-game shows, were discussing what conceivable achievement would really show the program had taken the next step. Ello's choice wasn't winning the MWC title, beating Penn State or anything like that. It was winning in double digits. As Ello explained, so doing would not just be to achieve something no SDSU team has done since 1978. That was exactly what yours truly and a number of others said at that same time. Well, we still have an outside shot at doing that but we would either have to go 9-0 in the MWC or go 8-1 and win our bowl game. Don't just come close but WIN our bowl game.

Nearly every coach in America will say bowl games are a reward for the players and additional practice time to develop players. That's exactly what it is! Has nothing to do not preparing properly for the game or making winning a priority. To think that is simply naive (or clueless).
11-18-2015, 08:36 AM,
I like you too, sdcoug.
11-18-2015, 11:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-18-2015, 11:44 AM by aztech.)
(11-17-2015, 11:36 PM)sdcoug Wrote:

Nearly every coach in America will say bowl games are a reward for the players and additional practice time to develop players. That's exactly what it is! Has nothing to do not preparing properly for the game or making winning a priority. To think that is simply naive (or clueless).

Let's see if Rocky prepares properly and makes winning his priority this time around.  The naive around here are sick of the woulda, coulda, shoulda excuses.  And please, lay off the comparison to other coaches who can't win bowls.