Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aztec Marketing
09-08-2016, 02:45 PM,
RE: Aztec Marketing
The best part of the Padres giveaway is that they get free marketing out of it for years. Beach towels, bags, hats and t-shirts (when they are well designed) are worn and used out in public for years.
09-08-2016, 03:26 PM,
I work with the cartage company that delivers Padres chachkies from time to time...not 100% sure, but I think that's out of our league currently in terms of cost. Also, we have done shirt, bobblehead, and towel(tiny, I know) giveaways, among others in the recent past, but I wouldn't expect more than once or twice a season, tops.
09-08-2016, 03:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2016, 03:39 PM by AztecSU.)
(09-08-2016, 02:00 PM)FULL_MONTY Wrote:
(09-08-2016, 11:16 AM)sdcoug Wrote:
(09-08-2016, 07:46 AM)FULL_MONTY Wrote: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news...ttendance/

Good news on the Attendance.

But discouraged that the Aztec Marketing thinks they know more than the Padres Marketing.

Has attendance for the Padres been remarkable? I've seen Padres giveaways which draw the same as every other game. Do you disagree with her assertion? Given what we can afford & get from a give-away perspective I don't disagree with Lisa. I don't think the lift received from a Aztec blanket giveaway justifies the cost, and believe people will buy tickets based more on awareness of the game, the ticket price, and how well our team is doing. If we were trying to sell $40 tickets then maybe.

She's worked in marketing & promotions at both Iowa & Kentucky, so believe she has a good level of experience in the role.

Re: the article & attendance, we're definitely off to a great start. Getting to 85-90k after the 1st 2 games were be excellent, and knowing that homecoming will do well means it's likely we'll average 35k plus, which would be an excellent year.  A win Saturday could put us closer to 40k when all is said & done.

Umm, yes the Padres Stink and are in last place but are #15 out of #30 for attendance in MLB. I think they know what they are doing. The beach towel night is highly anticipated.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

And here is the problem, the giveaway should cost what?

A towel could be sourced for $2 per towel, if you have a giveaway to the first 20K, the cost would be $40K. 

I am pretty sure you could get a sponsor to cover most of those costs. There are a ton of Aztec Friendly companies that would could pony up 1/2 the cost if not all the cost for the sponsorship of the towel.

rubios
vans
volcom
qualcomm

but don't tell me give-away's don't work and then give away a bobble head.
Not comparable, here's why. The padres don't play AAA teams (perceptually) the way SDSU basically does. This is why our attendance high water mark most seasons, fireworks aside, is almost always when we host a P5, our high quality G5 program. Hell, even Aztec basketball has sellouts with 3k open seats when we play the little sisters of the poor. There is no way around it, 11/12+ game winning streaks are not the norm and even then we don't even get half full. The only way to really change our attendance permanently, is to change our peers permanently. That, or move 50,000 southerners who love Aztec football into mission valley.

BTW, did you know the 5th highest avg. attendance all time was in 2011...just throwing it out there, attendance for SDSU is not always what you think.
09-08-2016, 03:42 PM,
(09-08-2016, 03:31 PM)AztecSU Wrote:
(09-08-2016, 07:46 AM)FULL_MONTY Wrote: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news...ttendance/

But discouraged that the Aztec Marketing thinks they know more than the Padres Marketing.

Has attendance for the Padres been remarkable? I've seen Padres giveaways which draw the same as every other game. Do you disagree with her assertion? Given what we can afford & get from a give-away perspective I don't disagree with Lisa. I don't think the lift received from a Aztec blanket giveaway justifies the cost, and believe people will buy tickets based more on awareness of the game, the ticket price, and how well our team is doing. If we were trying to sell $40 tickets then maybe.

She's worked in marketing & promotions at both Iowa & Kentucky, so believe she has a good level of experience in the role.

Re: the article & attendance, we're definitely off to a great start. Getting to 85-90k after the 1st 2 games were be excellent, and knowing that homecoming will do well means it's likely we'll average 35k plus, which would be an excellent year.  A win Saturday could put us closer to 40k when all is said & done.

Umm, yes the Padres Stink and are in last place but are #15 out of #30 for attendance in MLB. I think they know what they are doing. The beach towel night is highly anticipated.

A towel could be sourced for $2 per towel, if you have a giveaway to the first 20K, the cost would be $40K. 

I am pretty sure you could get a sponsor to cover most of those costs. There are a ton of Aztec Friendly companies that would could pony up 1/2 the cost if not all the cost for the sponsorship of the towel.

rubios
vans
volcom
qualcomm

Not comparable, here's why. The padres don't play AAA teams (perceptually) the way SDSU basically does. This is why our attendance high water mark most seasons, fireworks aside, is almost always when we host a P5, our high quality G5 program. Hell, even Aztec basketball has sellouts with 3k open seats when we play the little sisters of the poor. There is no way around it, 11/12+ game winning streaks are not the norm and even then we don't even get half full. The only way to really change our attendance permanently, is to change our peers permanently. That, or move 50,000 southerners who love Aztec football into mission valley.

BTW, did you know the 5th highest avg. attendance all time was in 2011...just throwing it out there, attendance for SDSU is not always what you think.

http://www.milb.com/promotions/index.jsp?sid=t103

TACO and TALBOY Tuesday - that's marketing.

Oh and they have a bobble head giveaway as well. Sure it's limited to 1K or 1.5K but they have lots of them. But they must not work, even at the AAA level.
09-08-2016, 03:43 PM,

rubios
vans
volcom
qualcomm

IMO giving away a "$2 towel" does NOTHING for attendance, and the time spent by staff/volunteers to fulfill, and the $40k spent can be better used elsewhere. If you're going to spend, spend on something that actually DOES impact attendance. I'd much rather have a Brewfest than a towel.

SDSU has history of these events. They've seen the type of "lift" we do get when we do & don't have give-aways. They know what types bring in fans & which don't. The decisions aren't without stats to back them up.

The bobblehead is completely different. You're enticing a longer term purchase - 6 games, and you have several weeks for fulfillment. It's a thank you for jumping on board from the get-go, and an enticement to renew your season tickets. It proved effective - season tickets are up.

Unless it's a VERY good giveaway, which we cannot afford, IMO all they may do is entice someone to USE the ticket they've already purchased, rather than deciding not to show up. Great for concessions; not for sales.
09-08-2016, 03:51 PM,
(09-08-2016, 03:42 PM)FULL_MONTY Wrote:
(09-08-2016, 03:31 PM)AztecSU Wrote:

rubios
vans
volcom
qualcomm

http://www.milb.com/promotions/index.jsp?sid=t103

TACO and TALBOY Tuesday - that's marketing.

Oh and they have a bobble head giveaway as well. Sure it's limited to 1K or 1.5K but they have lots of them. But they must not work, even at the AAA level.

When I played for the Timber Rattlers in Appleton they had I think either a tuesday or wednesday night promo where you would get a Beer and Dog for like $1.50 or something insane like that....

Now think about the difference between SD and just about any minor league town...you can promo that crap all you want. It's like farting into a hurricane in this city with so much going on...especially when you only have 6 games a year, all of which are either Saturday or Friday. It's just not the same.
09-08-2016, 03:53 PM,
(09-08-2016, 03:43 PM)sdcoug Wrote:

rubios
vans
volcom
qualcomm

IMO giving away a "$2 towel" does NOTHING for attendance, and the time spent by staff/volunteers to fulfill, and the $40k spent can be better used elsewhere. If you're going to spend, spend on something that actually DOES impact attendance.  I'd much rather have a Brewfest than a towel.

SDSU has history of these events. They've seen the type of "lift" we do get when we do & don't have give-aways. They know what types bring in fans & which don't. The decisions aren't without stats to back them up.

The bobblehead is completely different. You're enticing a longer term purchase - 6 games, and you have several weeks for fulfillment. It's a thank you for jumping on board from the get-go, and an enticement to renew your season tickets. It proved effective - season tickets are up.

Unless it's a VERY good giveaway, which we cannot afford, IMO all they may do is entice someone to USE the ticket they've already purchased, rather than deciding not to show up. Great for concessions; not for sales.

We can go round and round, but do you truly believe that the Padres, storm, et al are bad at marketing? That the giveaways don't draw in fans?

Additionally, if you have a sponsor for the cost, how does it harm anyone?

As for Brewfest, they have monkey humped that one a few times. Listen, I support the hell out of SDSU, but I am not going to allow my allegiance to the University blind me to the fact that the marketing has been sub par.

There is too much woe is me coming from that part of the department, they need to go to AAA, AA, A, and rookie baseball games to see how it is done as well as researching what early MLB and ABA did to get fans into the stadium. Some of the best marketing has been done shoelace budgets. The difference seems to be the hunger and desire. If those entities failed, they went out of business. They don't get pensions.
09-08-2016, 03:56 PM,
http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-footbl/...16aaa.html

I guess they can do giveaways? 2K sunglasses to students. A good idea and interesting timing considering the article this AM?

But why do this promo when it won't be successful.
09-08-2016, 03:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2016, 03:59 PM by AztecSU.)
Padres attendance is not the chachkies man. It's not like the PADS just started doing promos.

IMHO the PADS attendance bump is 3 more logical factors. 1) Hosting the All-Star game created greater visibility for the team. 2) Stadium upgrades 3) What was supposed to be a high potential roster with all the money we spent.

You really think people fork out money for a chachky that probably half of all in attendance didn't even know about until they showed up?

This doesn't mean they are bad at marketing or that we are good, I've just never heard of gimmicks driving attendance. It's usually a combo of expectations/performance and occasionally upgraded facilities.

EDIT: Also, how were season tickets sales year-over-year? I bet they jumped this year, and not for the chachkies.
09-08-2016, 04:00 PM,
(09-08-2016, 03:43 PM)sdcoug Wrote:

rubios
vans
volcom
qualcomm

IMO giving away a "$2 towel" does NOTHING for attendance, and the time spent by staff/volunteers to fulfill, and the $40k spent can be better used elsewhere. If you're going to spend, spend on something that actually DOES impact attendance.  I'd much rather have a Brewfest than a towel.

I agree 100% with what Lisa Pearson is saying.
The giveaways are not what bring big crowds. And to be brutally honest with you AZTEC fans, i do NOT want our fanbase turning into a bunch of Padres-like fans that only show up if there is a freebie. The ONLY reason Padres games are even amongst the upper half in attendance is because we are a destination/transplant city.

I would much rather see Pearson and the AD spend more money in advertising the HELL out of SDSU Football.
Especially around town in North & East County, Center City and South Bay. And especially in the OFF-SEASON.
They have been doing a fine job in capturing this football programs identity thru their visuals, just need more of it.

No matter WHEN we finally do make the jump to a better conference, we have to continue to create a higher quality IMAGE of ourselves to our own fanbase/alumni.Pumphrey's Heisman banner for example...they wanted it downtown but it was crazy expensive.
Well, they should've posted it up during the SUMMER on a building in South East San Diego if you ask me.
Post that HUGE banner up in Oceanside...
Or maybe right next to the city's top high school.
They have to present our local kids with the idea that if they stay home, maybe they too can take it to THAT level of play.
It all takes money & a gameplan.
Freebies are not part of it.
Unless your a season ticket holder that is ; )